Thursday 16 April 2009

17 Hours To Liberación

It can't get any more Singaporeanly inane when my dad brings back disposable stuff from overseas (toothbrushes, toothpastes, soap, etc) so that he can collect them and then use them overseas next time to reduce baggage weight, and then brings a whole new stash home from the trip so the cycle repeats.



Conversations with the old birds from my soccer team have always brought to light axioms from experience, since they're graduating or have already graduated and have stepped into the mire of the working world.

The latest two that have come to the fore are that saying internships are valuable is a gross understatement, and that overseas experience is a highly prized notch on the resume to companies hiring now.

So many things to do, so little time with only two years left. With the way things are economically, it wouldn't hurt to be allowed to hang around school a little longer, except that it's not so simple when you're a guy and there are expectations, both explicit and hidden.



Committing myself to studying psychology now is a wonderful thing, but it comes at a price. Psychology isn't particularly concerned with the beauty of writing, although good writing capability is still prized (and often lacking). By choosing psychology over other social sciences, like political science and sociology, I guess I've let go of the chance to explore writing in a more argumentative, creative and abstract manner for now.

After submitting my cognitive psychology term paper last week, I was just thinking that there's just so much you can go in terms of writing for psychology. From now on, psychology modules will be all about learning more psychology concepts, but there will no longer be anything new to learn in terms of writing technique. Everything has been covered after the research methods and design, measurement and analysis modules.

I'm always looking forward to pursuing modules in those other areas though, with Globalization of World Politics and Social Stratification on my list.

Aside from that, I'm also considering the Spanish module after summer. I've always been enthralled by the language ever since I was 13 or 14 because it is seductive, poetic and smooth, and self-learning has proven to be extremely futile for the past 2 years.



Anyway, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but Chinhong and I are trying out a little research on our own to try and draw links between school performance and personality. I won't reveal too much except that so far, the initial hypothesis still remains inadequately supported, but on a side note it seems like orderliness is a factor for school performance for NUS students while inquisitiveness is a factor for school performance for SMU students.

To help us in this research, click here to take the test. Muchas gracias!




Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Audio Candy:
System Of A Down - Vicinity Of Obscenity

No comments: