Friday 5 January 2007

V

I've been spending days trying to get that elusive early goodnight cos things keep screwing me up, like Newcastle playing Manchester Utd at 1am and V for Vendetta at midnight.

Ooh I've had a nice, deep dose of thought-provoking movies (judgment made without any prior reading of the books written before the movies) this week.

Caught Fast-Food Nation at the movies with Kee and what a surprising show it's turned out to be. A fictitious narrative somewhat, depicted from the lives of a few people intertwined into one another due to the fast food chain Mickey's, reflects the extremely ugly side of the modern fast food business in the world today, together with its harsh realities and moral and social repercussions. Read up on the book it was adapted from and its catchphrase was cool: "Do you want lies (fries) with that?" If it was a more mainstream movie that people would flock to just like they would to the Matrix or Mission Impossible, a lotta people would really think twice before sinking their teeth into another burger.

And I thought V For Vendetta was absolutely mind-blowing, in so many ways ranging from concept, plot and philosophy to the way Hugo Weaving 'weaved' such life into his character, V, by the extremely artistic usage of his voice (seriously pardon the pun I couldn't help it). A provocative movie that makes you question your stand as one of 'the people' in a country under a government.

And the dialogue is absolute poetry. Can't help it man here are some:

V: ...A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. A symbol, in and of itself is powerless, but with enough people behind it, blowing up a building can change the world.

Evey Hammond: My father was a writer. You would've liked him. He used to say that artists use lies to tell the truth while politicians use them to cover the truth up.

V: But regardless of what weapons they try to use to effect silence, words will always retain their power. Words are the means to meaning, and for some, the annunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country.

Creedy: Die! Die! Why won't you die..? Why won't you die?
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Evey Hammond: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey Hammond: Well I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Valerie: I remember our teacher telling us that it was an adolescent phase that people outgrew. Sarah did. I didn't. In 2002, I fell in love with a girl named Christina. That year I came out to my parents. I couldn't have done it without Chris holding my hand. My father wouldn't look at me. He told me to go and never come back. My mother said nothing. But I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch we are free.

Valerie: It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must NEVER let them take it from us.

V: People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

More quotes here. Hoho. Cheers people. Oh and anyway today's audio candy is the tune they're playing in the latest Nokia 'musiconnects' advert. Just thought it was really catchy so I got down to a little seeking and found it. Daft Punk... Ooz.




You go to sushi land and order the cast of the Little Mermaid on a pad of rice.

Today's Listenables:
Daft Punk - Digital Love

No comments: